|UT State Facts|
|Territory: Sep 9, 1850|
|Statehood: Jan 4, 1896|
|Borders: AZ, CO, ID, NV, NM and WY|
|UT Land Ownership Maps|
|UT Maps & Atlases|
|UT Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|UT Military Databases|
|UT Record Collections|
|UT Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Today’s Utah counties did not always exist in the present form. They went through many different changes in the space of a few short years. Utah Counties were first formed while part of the State of Deseret, and after that the Utah Territory.
Utah Territorial Counties
The State of Deseret was established in 1849 and disestablished in 1850. The provisional state encompassed most of the territory that had been acquired from Mexico the previous year as the Mexican Cession.
The Territory of Utah, as part of the Compromise of 1850, was organized on September 9, 1850 with the first territorial legislature meeting from 1851–1852.
All other counties were established between 1854 and 1894 by the Utah Territorial Legislature under territorial law except for the last two counties formed, Daggett and Duchesne. They were created by popular vote and by gubernatorial proclamation after Utah became a state.
The State of Utah was created as a the 45th state on January 4, 1896.
Utah Counties Today
Fun Facts about Utah Counties
Counties by Year
- Salt Lake County, Sanpete County, Tooele County, Utah County and Weber counties was the original 5 counties created on March 03, 1852.
- Daggett County was the last county created on March 04, 1919.
County Size Facts
- San Juan County (7,820 sq mi) is the largest county in Utah.
- Davis County (299 sq mi) is the smallest county in Utah.
County Population Facts
- Daggett County (1,059) is the least populated county in Utah.
- Salt Lake County (1,029,665) is the most populated county in Utah.
Utah City Facts
Utah’s 10 largest cities (2017 est.) are:
- Salt Lake City (194,188) is in Salt Lake County
- West Valley City (135,546) is in Salt Lake County
- Provo (116,199) is in Utah County
- West Jordan (111,937) is in Salt Lake County
- Orem (97,839) is in Utah County
- Sandy (94,556) is in Salt Lake County
- Ogden (85,497) is in Weber County
- St. George (79,995) is in Washington County
- Layton (73,963) is in Davis County
- South Jordan (65,523) is in Salt Lake County
Boundary Changes of Utah Counties from 1849-1960
This Interactive Map of Utah Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from 1849 to 1960.
List of Utah Counties
|County||Created||Created From||Named For||County Seat||Notes|
List of Old Former / Extinct Utah Counties
At least thirty-two counties that were established by Utah law no longer exist. These defunct counties were either (1) Judicial counties, (2) Counties established by declaration of the Constitutional Convention of 1868-69, (3) Counties established by legislative act but never organized and later abolished by legislative act (4) Counties established outside the present boundaries of Utah or (5) Counties whose names have been changed.
The below counties formerly within the area of the State of Utah no longer exist:
- Carson County was established on 17 Jan 1854 by the Utah Territory; it was abolished on 02 Mar 1861. Area now in Nevada
- Cedar County was established on 05 Jan 1856 ; it was abolished on 17 Jan 1862
- Desert County was established on 03 Mar 1852 ; it was abolished on 17 Jan 1862
- Greasewood County was established on 05 Jan 1856 ; it was abolished on 17 Jan 1862
- Great Salt Lake County was established on 03 Mar 1852 ; it was renamed on 29 Jan 1868 Salt Lake County
- Green River County was established on 03 Mar 1852 ; it was abolished on 16 Feb 1872
- Humboldt County was established on 05 Jan 1856 ; it was abolished on 02 Mar 1861. Area now in Nevada
- Malad County was established on 05 Jan 1856 ; it was abolished on 17 Jan 1862 . Area now in Box Elder County
- Richland County was established on 16 Jan 1864 ; it was renamed Rich County on 29 Jan 1868.
- Rio Virgin County was established on 18 Feb 1869 ; it was abolished on 16 Feb 1872
- St. Mary’s County was established on 05 Jan 1856 ; it was abolished on 02 Mar 1861
- Shambip County was established on 12 Jan 1856 ; it was abolished on 17 Jan 1862 . Area now in Tooele County
COUNTY County, Utah
Created on DATE from LAND. COUNTY County was renamed to COUNTY County on November 7, 1907.